The government must ensure that no one has to go back to the streets by: -
- Making sure no one is forced out of their emergency accommodation without being offered suitable alternative housing, and give councils the funding they need to make this happen.
- Providing more housing and support for people with complex needs. This means urgently increasing funding for Housing First, floating support and supported housing services so that extra help is available to those who need support to avoid losing their home.
- Ensuring there is enough safe and secure housing for women and survivors of abuse – women sleeping rough are at high risk of physical and sexual violence, so they need safe, secure housing with the right support to escape abuse for good.
- Increasing Local Housing Allowance (LHA) rates to cover the cheapest 50% of private rented properties in each area, and lift the Benefit Cap so people moving on from hotels can afford private rented housing.
- Continuing to pay for housing for people with no recourse to public funds who would otherwise return to rough sleeping – without this it will be practically impossible for people to secure an income by sorting out their immigration status or finding work.